Monday, May 5, 2008

Decorating a Plain Room Divider

A few years back, when I was living in a studio apartment of Washington DC, I happened to buy a room divider screen to add privacy and decor to my apartment. Since my budget was tight, I bought a relatively cheaper variety of room diivder costing lesser than $100. I put room divider in the middle of my living room /bedroom and folded it away when not needed. After a few years, when I bought my first home, among the list of items to be given away to charity, I included this divider screen also, since I felt that it would not suit the decor which I had decided for my home. But considering how useful the room divider had been during my stay at the studio, I found it difficult to part with the divider screen so I just stored it in my attic. Some time later, when I was decorating my kids bedroom, I decided to use this divider screen as a part of their room decoration and to use my interior designing experience to convert this simple screen into an attractive one. It was a plain white 3 panel screen with black edges. I gave my children (who were little at that time) some glossy, shining construction paper and told them to cut out beautiful shapes from it. They cut out stars, snow flakes, circles (some looking like squares!) and other odd looking ones. I selected the best among them and with their help, began to glue them on the divider screen in patterns. after the art project was complete, the ordinary looking room divider was transformed into an extraordinary looking room divider.

No comments: